Corgi CC20515 Burrell Showmans ‘Philadelphia’ – No. 3414, 1912
Built in 1912 and delivered new to Wareham station for Joseph Smith of Shirley, Southampton, this engine was put straight to work powering his gallopers fun fair ride. Following his death, the engine and ride were operated for several years by his family, who later sold both to well-known ‘riding master’ Alfred James Bartlett of Fordingbridge. His family operated the engine until the beginning of WWII when it was requisitioned for war work and placed with the local agricultural contractors, William Everett and Sons of Gussage, All Saints. The engine was used in agriculture until around 1948 when it was laid up in an open fronted shed where it remained for the next 48 years. Philadelphia was discovered by the present owners in 1966, when tentative negotiations for its purchase commenced. However it was not until January 1999 that the transaction was completed. Philadelphia is believed to be the last genuine showmans engine in the world to be rescued for preservation from its last commercial owner. It is now owned by John and Brenda Newton.