MG moved into their famous Abingdon factory, formerly the Pavlova Leather Works, in 1930 and it remained the marque’s home until the last two MGBs were produced on 22nd October 1980. Sadly, British Leyland boss, Sir Michael Edwardes, then closed it down as he rationalised the BL group. The MGB modelled was one of the last made before the ‘run-out’ LE models came on stream as it was produced during August 1980. By then however, demand was slow so it was one of seven unsold roadsters still in the UK-wide BL dealer network when it was registered by its first owner on 4th December 1981; explaining why it wears an X registration suffix.
As a new car sold by Henlys, Croydon, it cost £6500, prior to being Ziebart rust proofed. The first owner covered around 8000 miles in two years before being forced to sell because of family commitments. Current owner Steve Carver, then snapped up the still as-new car for £5000 on 3rd March 1984. A long standing MG enthusiast, whose father John ran a BGT for many years, he has always garage stored it as a second car along with his 1932 MG F Type Magna. Thus it remains in very good original condition except for a new mohair hood and regular maintenance. Very much part of the family, the MG was used as the wedding car when he married Gina in 1993.
Engine: 1798cc OHV 4IL
Power: 84bhp @5250rpm
Torque: 107lb.ft @2500rpm
Maximum speed: 105mph